Companies that blog, receive 55% more web traffic and 70% more leads, than those who don’t.
When we talk to clients about a social local media strategy, they usually jump right to Facebook and Twitter. Both outlets are important, but we usually take a step back and discuss whether or not a company blog is the appropriate first step.
Blogging is one of the original forms of social media. Admittedly, a blog is not the most exciting or sexy social media tactic, but it is the most critical piece of a company’s social media strategy.
Benefits of a Company Blog
1. A blog will help with the search engine optimization (SEO) of your website, by creating more indexed pages, thus increasing the authority and page rank of your website. A higher page rank will place your website in the top organic search results.
2. It will allow you to optimize your site for targeted keywords, increasing web traffic.
3. In an industry with a long sales cycle, it is important to provide research and information for potential customers. Let your blog do the “heavy lifting” for you, by answering common questions or concerns, and sending a link to your article as a follow up to a sales call or meeting.
4. Become the authority in your industry. Especially in the B2B arena, it is important to position yourself as a thought-leader and provide important research and information. By becoming a resource to your target audience, you will remain top of mind.
5. Fresh content will build subscribers in other digital areas, such as email and RSS readers.
6. Use social networks to drive traffic back to your website, by posting links to your blog in your status updates.
Creating Blog Content
Keyword research is traditionally a function of SEO, but is also important for creating blog content.
This research will identify a select group of relevant phrases that are generating a high volume of web searches with a reasonable level of competition to rank for the keyword. This metric is called the Key Performance Indicator (KPI). Identifying these key phrases and integrating them into blog content will help with SEO and increase web traffic.
A blog should be updated at least once a week, with relevant and meaningful content, for your target audience. Topics can include case studies, “how-to” instructions, common industry mistakes, top tips, equipment reviews, etc. You want to address your target’s questions or concerns, offer advice and your expert opinion.
You can create weekly/monthly features by particular individuals or on a specific topic. Your blog is a way for potential clients to get to know your company and your staff.
A strong social media strategy needs to start with a blog. It’s great to “engage” in the social media space, but ultimately you’re in it to make money, right? It’s all about ROI and getting followers/fans back to your website. Very few companies can generate business on Facebook and Twitter alone.
Are you using a blog as a part of your social media strategy?